Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Gooseberry Cabins

“White bed linens and a four poster bed.” That was my requirement when hunting for honeymoon accommodations. I was not going to have the most romantic venture of my life in a room that had flamingos (or the color teal) on the bedspread.

Having just booked our three day summer getaway to my childhood vacation spot, Gooseberry Cabins, 30 miles past Duluth, I marvel at how nostalgic value trumps any other conceived value. I really value “pretty” accommodations and accoutrements. That said, my love for these quaint cabins—cabins where my grandparents stayed as young newlyweds, cabins where I romped around as a child climbing boulders and roasting hotdogs, cabins where my best friend in high school, Christa, shrieked when entering the bathroom, “Wow, if you were even slightly fat, you wouldn’t fit in here!” Oh yes, these cabins fill me with such a fury of nostalgic romanticism that I can hardly wait the next three weeks for my tiny, and well deserved vacation to come.

And though I realize that I will undoubtedly be sleeping under a bedspread abundant with shades of hunter green and maroon, and probably a cross-stich of moose antlers on the wall, I am so, so happy. And cannot wait for July 22-24 to come!

No comments: