Wednesday, June 17, 2009

To Be or Not To Be . . . A Gluttonous Tale

Working in product sales, there are a lot of freebies. At least once a week I return home with a free item (or a box full!) That said, there is always a fine line to walk: how much is okay to take, and at what point do I look like a big oinker?

Today, this conflict came to a head. Another vendor in our building was having a moving sale. This vendor sells an assortment of very pricey table-top items. For today only, as a means of liquidating their inventory, nothing had a price. They were only requesting free will donations. I love and hate free will donations equal parts. It is too risky. You either overcompensate and pay too much, or you give too little and look like cheapskate. Today, I chose the latter.

When I entered the sales floor, there were already lots of women “having their way” with the merchandise. They had huge boxes overflowing with table runners, decorative napkins, votive holder, and tea blends. In good faith I chose a “small box” to begin hoarding my goods. I grabbed five packets of linen placemats (retail for $54), as well as some pretty glass napkin rings (retail $16). I then noticed some gorgeous twine and glass balls and grabbed five . . . okay, ten (retail $8). I moved onto the picture frames. I picked up three etched glass frames and added them to my box (retail $32). At this point, I discarded my small box, and transported all of my goods a larger, more appropriate box.
Next I made my way to the votive table (oh how I love you ambiance, oh how I need you small candle holders), I grabbed twelve embellished holders and six plain gold holders (retail $18 and $12). Just as I was getting embarrassed that I now looked like the women mentioned earlier, I noticed some beautiful recycled wood salad tongs, I grabbed just one set, and added them to my stash (retail $30).

I was finally done, and now for the awkward “payment” stage. I had one twenty and five one dollar bills. I crumpled them all together in what appeared to be a large wad and handed them to the man working the checkout. I prayed that he would not unroll the wad while I was still standing there with my overflowing box. Thankfully, he just put the cash in the little apron thing he was wearing, and I scurried off, actually more like lumbered off (the box was quite large).

However, now that I have actually written this account, I am feeling quite guilty. If I tally up all the grossly inflated retail costs, I come up with a figure of $900.00! That means I got the products for 99.972% off. I could either chalk this up to being a very, very good deal, or I could acknowledge it for what it was: a pure, unadulterated, glutton fest!

No comments: