Thursday, September 29, 2011

Elaina Five Months

How is it possible that my tiny little baby girl has been in the world for five months? Though she has been sleeping really poorly for about the past month and a half, I must say, this stage of development has been the most fun yet. We’re actually seeing personality vs. universal baby behavior. And what we’re seeing may be giving us a run for our money . . .

If I were to describe Elaina right now, I would say she is very upbeat, high energy, and extremely enthralled in everything/anybody. She is without question a mover & a shaker. So my fears of having a stoic child are completely dashed. In fact, just like her mama, she appears to be highly expressive. With this comes very easy smiling, but also very easy crying. When she’s well rested, it seems she is all about going with the flow. However, when she’s tired, the world has ended and there is no pacifying her (this trait, it seems, she also shares with her mama).

We’re not quite sure how much she weighs presently, but I am guessing she’s pushing 16 lbs. Her new fascinations are feeding herself. Whether it’s holding the bottle or using her spoon, she wants to be in control of these tasks. She’s also now sitting up unattended and rolling all over the house. At her four month appt. the doctor suspected she would be crawling by now, but the fact that she isn’t doesn’t bother me at all. Like I said above, I think this child is going to give us a run for our money, and the longer she is sedentary the better!

So last night Elaina belly laughed for the first time. She giggles from time to time, but last night was the first time I heard her really laugh hard. It was bedtime and I was nursing her before putting her down. All the sudden I heard her working out a big poop and I groaned and said to Scott, “oh no, she just pooped.” After I said this I heard a big giggle. I looked down at her and she was full of smiles. I said, “Elaina, did you just poop?” Again, more giggles. I said, “poop” and there were more chuckles. “Poop!” huge fits of laughter. I said “cat!” to see if the laughing would continue, but nothing. I said “poop!” a couple more times and each time it elicited the same laughter. I guess five months is not too young for bathroom humor to be comical.

Elaina, your name suits you. You are indeed a little sunray. You could melt hearts of stone with your smile. How dearly beloved you are.

1 comment:

Linnea said...

I can't wait to meet her! Your story of her laughing at 'poop' made me laugh out loud!