Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Elaina - 6 1/2 Months

Well, it’s time we start baby proofing. About a week ago I noticed that Elaina was getting up onto her knees quite regularly. This turned into scooting several days later and has now become a full out army crawl. She’s also discovered that she can pull herself to a standing position and is trying to climb everything around her that offers the necessary leverage to get her onto her feet. She is incredibly proud when things work in her favor, and very sad when she loses her balance and falls. I definitely don’t think she’s crying out of pain, but rather out of disappointment. The girl has some tenacity, I’ll give her that.

Yesterday we brought up a couple of her walking toys including a little musical push cart. She was able to hold on and walk for about 4 ft. at which time she burst into tears. I think the wheels propelled her faster than she was anticipating and she became nervous and didn’t know how to let go. It was very funny to watch, and I know that it will be no time before she is gleefully pushing that little cart all over our home.

In other related news, I am pretty sure that stranger danger has set in, particularly around men. My sister and brother-in-law were gracious enough to take her for several hours this past weekend and Elaina did not want to be left alone with Uncle Travis. Instead she needed to be with her Auntie Ann. Poor, Trav. He’s so nice to her, but the rejection will only be temporary I am sure. The same situation was replicated at my folk’s house this past Monday. She was all about Grandma, but not so about Grandpa. From what I’ve read, this is very normal, even healthy for this stage of development; however, I can’t help but feel bad. In time I am sure she’ll again be batting her eyes at these men in her life.

Overall, everything is going well. For the most part, Elaina is a very jubilant little girl and she expresses her joy with ease—be it her wide smile, her constant swaying, her routine melodic humming, or her kicking legs. However, we’re still severely battling bedtime, and naps have also become a challenge as of late. I long for the day when I can just set her down in her crib and she’ll just drift off to sleep. Presently, nighttime includes long bouts of crying and multiple night waking’s. In other words, we’re a tired bunch. Nonetheless, the happiness outweighs the heartache. And even if this were reversed, it’s still all worth it . . .

No comments: