Monday, April 25, 2011

40 Wks & 2 Days Pregnant

I was hoping that I wouldn’t make it to today’s appointment, but sure enough, baby girl had other plans. Though I’ve made some progress, I am still just 1 centimeter dilated and 70% effaced. However, the doctor said that my cervix is much softer than it was a week ago. In an effort to speed things along, she tried stripping the mucus membranes—a process where they attempt to loosen the water sack from the cervix. Despite reading horrible things about the discomfort involved in this process, I didn’t find it too bad. As always, the doctor commented on how low baby is sitting and that hopefully this should make for a swift delivery.

More concerning are my swollen lower extremities. Despite my desire to “walk” this child out of me, she said it is best if I try to lay low and rest on my left side as much as possible. I have another appointment scheduled for next Monday, where if baby girl is not born, I will be scheduled for induction. I really do not want to be induced as I have heard labor is far worse going this route, so I am hopeful and prayerful that baby girl will make her debut without this extra measure. My doctor thinks I have a 50% shot of making it to next Monday’s appointment, but for the sake of my back, bum, and legs, I really hope that she is wrong.

1 comment:

Linnea said...

Hang in there!!! She'll be here soon!