Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How Low Can You Go?

I am currently a little over 37 weeks along, and had my first doctor’s examine today to check for progress. I will say, these aren’t exactly “fun” exams. When they check you, they really just go for it. According to the doctor, my cervix has started to thin just slightly and baby is head-down and situated very low. I can tell that baby has dropped recently, so the doctor’s remark came as no surprise. I’ve also been battling bouts of menstrual-type cramps and other “lovely” side effects from the added pressure of baby’s placement. My legs, ankles, and feet are very, very swollen. The doctor said lots of swelling is common in first pregnancies. She wasn’t alarmed, but it’s something they will keep their eye on. She did say that from time-to-time they are forced to induce due to excessive swelling. While the condition hasn’t made me terribly uncomfortable, I am acutely aware that my limbs are no longer my own. Truly, I look down and can’t even believe that these huge, puffy masses are attached to my body. I know the condition is short lived, and I will one day see my ankles again, but I am presently very embarrassed by their appearance. In fact, I have a spa day scheduled for next weekend, including a really nice pedicure, and I almost feel like I don’t want to go. No one should be subjected to the sight of my feet right now! In other news, I had a wonderful weekend. My dear sister and cousin prepared an amazing shower for me on Saturday. Both the Swedes and Greeks were in attendance along with some old friends. All-in-all, the day was perfect. We had wonderful fellowship, great food, and once again, I was bombarded with people’s kindness and generosity. Throughout the course of this pregnancy, I have felt extremely supported and loved. I am aware that not everyone receives the kind of support that I’ve been privy to, and I am so grateful. This little girl is lucky. Not because I think Scott and I are overly capable, but because we are plugged in to an amazing network of people that I know care for us and will in turn care for our daughter. I am honored to come from the kind of family that I do, and I am honored to have friends that I know uphold me during both the challenges and joys of life.

No comments: