Tuesday, March 15, 2011

39 Days . . .

I remember being about this far out from my wedding day. I was giddy, breathless in fact. I was sun-kissed, in shape, and very much looked the role of a bride-to-be. My months of meticulous planning were coming together and I could picture “my day” with great detail from the flowers, to the dress, to the music, to the program.

Being 39 days away from my due date, while it yields a similar excitement, feels distinctly different from that of my wedding day. I certainly look the part of a mom-to-be. By that I mean, round, slightly bedraggled, and belabored. Even though I’ve had months to prepare and the room is ready, the shelves are stocked, and the birth plan is written, I still cannot picture this day. There are so many unknowns involved in becoming a parent. What sort of kid will I get? What sort of parent will I be? Unlike my wedding day, I don’t get a rehearsal for this monumental life-changing event.

Even with some anxiety over the latter points, I cannot wait to get this little girl into my arms. While I have been extremely even-keel and void of emotional outbursts throughout the course of this pregnancy, I can now be brought to tears with just the slightest thought of meeting my baby. More over, envisioning Scott in his new role, and picturing my mom and sister holding their new family member turns me to mush on a dime.

So, it won’t be as glamorous as my wedding day, nor will it be predictable, but I do believe I am gearing up for the greatest day of my life. Can’t wait to meet you little one!

No comments: