Thursday, March 24, 2011

Coconut Water Anyone?

I haven’t written about anything unrelated to pregnancy in a long time, so I thought I would share this little tale or should I call it a warning . . .

I love the Naked Juice line. But at around $3.40 a bottle, I only allow myself this indulgence once in a while. Have you heard of their newest flavor, “100% Pure Coconut Water?” Rather than coming in the typical plastic bottle, it’s available in a little cardboard container, much like a juice box. Supposedly coconut water is the new health craze similar to the pomegranate/acai berry fad.

Several months ago while traveling for work I decided to check out what this fad was all about. I generally eat worse when I am on the road, so I hoped to off-set my dietary failures with one fell swoop by consuming this super, antioxidant packed power drink.

Um, what can I say? It was like drinking gray water out of a dirty sock. They should rename it, “Fresh Squeezed Pit Drippings.” Seriously, it was one of the most unsavory things I’ve ever tasted. My co-worker described it as “earthy,” which is just a really graceful way of saying “tinged with mud and worms.”

Just a couple weeks ago, while out for lunch at a soup and sandwich joint by my work, the woman in front of me purchased the much detested coconut water. I overheard her talking with her lunch date about the fact that she had never tried it, but had heard “wonderful” things about its health benefits. While I probably should have barged into their conversation and warned her, I decided that the more enjoyable thing would be to sit somewhere nearby where I would have good audio/visual of her first gulp.

They were carrying on their conversation when she nonchalantly took her first sip. Wait for it . . . wait for it . . . sure enough, her eyes bulge briefly and her hand goes to her throat as she grimaces with disdain. “Oh, this is really bad” she exclaims. She quickly takes a bite of her salad in an effort to override the foul taste. She then hands the bottle to her lunch date for a quick sniff test, and she too agrees, “It even smells bad.”

So, if you haven’t yet experienced “coconut water,” I sincerely suggest saving your money and saving your taste buds from this unfavorable encounter.

2 comments:

Linnea said...

Too funny! I also heard that coconut is becoming a 'miracle food' but I don't think I'll be trying its water any time soon! Maybe coconut milk is better??

ScottandChistina said...

I love coconut milk, primarily in cooking (although it is loaded w/ calories and fat--probably why is tastes good). Yes, DO NOT try coconut water or you'll want to scrape your tongue with a pitchfork.